Thursday, July 22, 2010

Poor qualifications - mantrA 96

SrigurubhyO namahA
The second mantrA of this section is the 96th mantrA of the invocation. Here the sage expresses his lack of qualifications with regard to attaining liberation.

பாடவல் லார்நெறி பாட அறிகிலேன்
ஆடவல் லார்நெறி ஆட அறிகிலேன்
நாடவல் லார்நெறி நாட அறிகிலேன்
தேடவல் லார்நெறி தேடகில் லேனே. 2.6.96.

Poor Qualifications
I know not the way singers sing,
I know not the way dancers dance,
I know not the way seekers seek,
I know not the way searchers search. 2.6.96.

Com I know not the way singers sing, I do not know to sing praises of siva as do those who follow the path of devotional singing, I know not the way dancers dance, neither do I know to dance in ecstasy(due to excessive devotion) as do those in the path of bhakti. I know not the way seekers seek, I do not know to seek after things as do those in the path of bhOga, I know not the way searchers search. And I do not know the way to enquire relentlessly as do those who due to g~nyAnA tread the path of tattva vichAranA.

* Here the sage speaks sadly of his inability to engage in any of the four methods/ paths to reach the supreme state of salvation. The first line refers to the path of japA (chanting) of mantrAs. The second speaks of the path of bhakti (bhakti yOgA) or devotion to the supreme. The third refers to the path of the karma yOgi who performs ordained actions desirous of fruit (karma phala) to finally reach salvation. And the fourth speaks of g~nyAna yOgA or the path of knowledge. All these are paths to the great goal of liberation or mukti and here the author laments his lack of qualifications to successfully engage in any of these paths and wonders how he will ever attain to liberation.

If such be the story for a perfected being like thirumUlar, I dread to even think of my own inabilities!

Here ends the 96th mantrA.
thirucchitrambalam

0 comments: